Hyundai is kicking off its summer with the release of the all-new Kona. This subcompact crossover will make its debut overseas before hitting U.S. soil in early 2018.
The Kona is expected to be a small crossover model and will provide a boost to Hyundai’s SUV lineup by targeting younger, active-lifestyle buyers. While Hyundai has largely kept details about the Kona under wraps, here is what we know (or can at least speculate about) so far:
- It’s anticipated that the Kona’s closest rival or comparison will be the Nissan Juke.
- The Kona features twin headlamps with LED daytime running lights and LED headlights.
- The grille design is reminiscent of that of the 2018 Hyundai Sonata and Elantra GT models.
- The Kona is not overly large, appears to carry a wide stance with an elevated seating position and an overall body style that more closely resembles a sporty hatchback than a crossover SUV. While the Kona was kept mostly under wraps during testing, some pictures have begun to leak out in recent weeks showing the Kona without its disguise.
- Features of the Elantra GT can also be seen in the Kona’s interior, with a freestanding touch screen on the middle of the dashboard.
- One of the focus areas of the Kona’s design was to maximize driver visibility.
- What’s under the hood of the Kona remains a mystery but some possibilities are the 147-horsepower, 2.0-liter engine found in the Elantra sedan or the 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that powers a number of Hyundai’s and Kia’s. It’s expected that the Kona will come with an all-wheel drive option.
Tracking the Kona
Kona is a district in Hawaii and continues the brand’s affinity for naming models after locations around the world. Hyundai claims the Kona name “reflects the island’s energetic image and unique lifestyle.”
The Hyundai Kona will make its launch in the Korean market and Hyundai has set a goal of making itself Europe’s leading Asian brand by 2021. The Kona will be the first big step in that direction and your source for this new car is Parkway Hyundai in Wilmington, NC.
Stop by to speak with a Parkway Hyundai associate about the Kona’s U.S. arrival and how you can be the first in line to test drive this car.